Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Happy 21st Birthday


Eventually in life, we all deal with the death of a loved one. Unfortunately, I lost my best friend to cancer when I was 16, she was 17. Today is her birthday and this is the first time since she passed away that I missed her birthday. At the moment, I am in Seattle spending time with my family, mom, sister, and nephews. The sad part is, is that I didn't even realize that today was the 18th. I feel horrible for not even realizing it was her birthday until Mari (her sister & my bff) sent me a text saying she missed her. To those of you who don't know, I consider Mari & Alicia as family... well their whole family is like my second family, I grew up with them. I'm at the point where I miss Alicia, but it doesn't upset me so much to talk about her anymore, but when it comes to her birthday and her deathday and my birthday, it's probably the hardest, thats probably when it hits me the most. Why my birthday? It was a joke between me and Alicia that we shared a "half birthday" meaning, I turned however old I am and a half on her birthday and vice-versa. Example, today, I am 20 and a half and come my birthday in Feb. she'd be 21 and a half because she was exactly 6 months older than me.
I guess it's gotten a little easier since me and Richie started dating, I finally had happiness in my life... I had gotten out of a dark relationship and started fresh thinking, FINALLY, she sent someone for me, someone who understands me and treats me right.

Here I am four years later... life is better, but there isn't a day that goes bye that I don't miss her.
She's my best friend, my sister and god, I miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment